tenacity


One way to win a match in Judo is by pinning (for as long as 25 seconds) your opponent onto his back. The "rule" is: you are in control of your opponent if s/he cannot escape without your release. When the referee sees the start of a pin, he extends one arm, palm down, and utters "Osae Komi."

In this video, the aggressor quickly turns his opponent onto the mat (amazing control). The opponent fights with everything for as long as he could. You can see that, exhausted, his left hand just drops down to the mat (what a symbol!), at the end.

...

It is so easy to give up. There had been hundreds, if not thousands, of times when I had given up. (To be fair, I had also been stubborn enough to tough through many moments.) On the other hand, perhaps it's good to know when to fold...

Anyway, I wonder, how come I have not once wanted to give up the Tango. (Maybe I just haven't been in it long enough?)

No comments: